Beyond Blue is a fantastic resource for everyone to receive some fantastic and helpful information.
I recently received a copy of one of their new resources called Hey Dad. This should be given to all Dad’s, especially first time Dad’s so that they have some information in regards to what it is like to become a Dad.
Living with the Black Dog – How to cope when your partner is depressed by Caroline Carr
This is a book which can be helpful to partners, families and friends etc who is living or may know someone with depression or postnatal depression. It provides an example of a family who is touched by someone with depression but everyone needs to remember this is just one example. All stories are different but there are strategies that everyone could use in relation to their own situation. However not all strategies will work for everyone but they might give you some direction.
Useful strategies that I think may be helpful are:
- Do not blame yourself for your partners depression
- Seek out information to understand depression
- Have someone you can honestly talk to about what is happening
- Picture yourself with a bubble around you and do what is necessary to keep this bubble in tact
- Make sure you are doing self care and nurturing activities to keep you refreshed.
- If a person tells you that they are lonely, avoid sitting with them all the time as this may not do anything beneficial it their thoughts
- Remind them that you are there for them.
- Try and get them to have some structure.